Old 14-09-2006, 02:36 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default snail repellent

"John Savage" wrote in message
On the tv gardening program 'Vasilis Garden' on Ch 31 (a community

tv
channel here in Sydney), the host described how to make a snail
repellent spray.

He collected about 15 live snails, crushed them in a saucepan and

added a
litre of hot water. This was boiled for 10 minutes, allowed to cool

and
the liquid strained into a spray bottle. He then sprayed this liquid

over
the foliage of garden seedlings and on the outside of pots, anywhere

that
he wanted snails repelled from.

I'm describing this in case someone with a snail problem cares to

try it
and can let the rest of us know whether it works. I'm skeptical but

open
minded.

One final word: one of her good kitchen saucepans might not be the

wisest
choice...

That's a completely new twist on an old recipe. Dunno if I like the
sound of boiling the snails.

The more usual way to make this spray for any insect pest is to
collect the bug that is to be destroyed, to put it in her blender, add
cold water then blend it and then to leave the resulant stew to
ferment for a few days before straining and then using the strained
juice on the plant which had the problem bug.