Old 14-09-2006, 05:10 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default snail repellent

In article
,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message

I'd like to try it with cabbage worms......

Om were you thinking of the cabbage grubs that are laid by the white
cabbage butterflies? If you were then this does work. Make up some
fake cabbage butterflies (I use the white opaque plastic form old milk
cartons) and mark then so that they have the black markings of real
cabbage butterflies with a felt tip pen and then put them on bamboo
stakes and put them around your cabbages. The cabbage butterfly is
territorial and will go elsewhere if it thinks that that cabbage is
already taken by another cabbage butterfly.

That sounds interesting...
I've never seen the actual butterflies.
These are the little *******s that killed my horseradish and did a
number on my chard and brocolli:

http://tinypic.com/2zjgpaa.jpg

The largest was maybe 1" long at most.
I killed dozens of them but I had to get them at dawn and dusk.
They were so destructive so fast! I lost the horseradish but managed to
save the other stuff. I just killed everything by hand.

The chickens I had at the time feasted happily. G
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson