Old 14-09-2006, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default On the subject of allotments

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
It's not really an allotment, but I'm getting to the idea of vegging
on the bank. Trouble is, it's on a wicked slope, about 1 in 2. Is
this likely to make it drain too much for most veggies? I know most
stuff need water to produce the bits you eat, apart from root veg.

Apart from root veg? Ever tried growing radishes without much water?
;-)

French beans can cope better than runners. What's the soil like
otherwise?

It is brilliant for growing stinging nettles and dock. That's all I know.
But it's right by a river so should be good. Water is there, just a question
of getting it up to the top. I could pump it uphill and let it run down, but
that might be too much. Or set up a sprinkler, shouldn't be a problem.