Old 14-09-2006, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default On the subject of allotments

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
It's not really an allotment, but I'm getting to the idea of vegging
on the bank. Trouble is, it's on a wicked slope, about 1 in 2. Is
this likely to make it drain too much for most veggies? I know most
stuff need water to produce the bits you eat, apart from root veg.

Anyone had experience of growing veg (particularly legumes) on a
slope like that?

I could quite easily rig up a pump to water it straight from the
river though, as long as the veg was washed properly before eating
that shouldn't be a problem.

I think I might also get competition from Mr Ratty and his friends
the rabbits, but maybe I can fence that off in a Mr McGregor stylee.

At the moment, what's preventing this bank of yours from gradually
sliding into the river, whenever there's heavy rain ?

That might no longer be there, if you dig it all up ?

A good thought. Nothing, apart from the nettles and dock. I would hope that
the veggies would replace the non-slide function.