Old 14-09-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Errors of new allotment gardeners.

On 14/9/06 14:41, in article , "michael adams"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I though I'd mention this to help any budding allotment growers.

Seen on our site this year...
1. Tomatoes not staked sufficiently strongly for the more exposed open
allotment site so they collapse when covered in fruit, it rains adding
weight and it's windy. Make a sturdy wooden/steel goal post type structure
and tie the canes to that.
2. Indeterminate Tomatoes not pinched out and allowed to do their own

thing.

That's nothing. Tomatoes were first introduced into the UK in the 16th
century from South America. However up until the early 1800's they were
regarded as poisonous and of decorative interest only*. Both on account of
their membership of the nightshade family and maybe (guess) the fact that
they're not eaten by any birds or animals. In the UK at least.

You're kidding about birds not eating them, aren't you?! Blackbirds
especially seem to go mad for them!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk