Old 14-09-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(in Normandy\) David \(in Normandy\) is offline

Default Naubergines OT

The only difference is that they need megabytes of memory to do what
was done in a few k.
--
Martin

True, my earliest programs were only a few k, now they run to megs. Program
size used to be so critical and had to be optimised. The other thing that
never ceases to amaze me is just how slow operating systems and compiled
code are nowadays with so much bloat. Processor speeds have gone up
enormously but this all seems to have been wasted. Out of curiosity years
ago I wrote a compact function in machine code to clear the screen of an IBM
8086 PC (under DOS 3.2 I think) and compared that to identical function
calls using Microsoft compiled C code. My machine code was a factor of 100
times faster! Things are much worse now. Performance optimised code seems to
have gone out of the "Window" so to speak.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk