Old 14-09-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(in Normandy\) David \(in Normandy\) is offline

Default Errors of new allotment gardeners.

"La Puce" wrote in message
Well done. Do you have any chickens? Perhaps moving them about on say
200m2 next spring would help you considerably with weeds and bugs. I'm
jealous.

The plan is to get 4 chickens next year. Apparently, from what I've read 4
is a good number to keep us in eggs without there being a glut or shortage
for much of the year. I've still got to make the chicken coop for them yet -
that's the bit I'm looking forward to - a bit of fancy carpentry! We've
delayed getting chickens because the French govt. can't make up its mind
what to do about bird flu. Earlier this year all birds had to be kept
indoors, then eventually they were allowed to free-range again since the
danger of infection from migrating birds had passed. Unfortunately this
ambiguity means they may need to be kept indoors again when bird migrations
begin again this Autumn. I just wish they would opt for vaccinating all
poultry, then everyone can just get on with keeping poultry outside again.
Fairly pointless keeping your own chickens just to leave them indoors and
fed on grain all the time - especially when there are lots of insects and
weeds they can be eating outside.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk