Old 14-09-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Errors of new allotment gardeners.

who wrote this in , I, Marvo, say :

"La Puce" wrote in message
Well done. Do you have any chickens? Perhaps moving them about on say
200m2 next spring would help you considerably with weeds and bugs.
I'm jealous.

The plan is to get 4 chickens next year. Apparently, from what I've
read 4 is a good number to keep us in eggs without there being a glut
or shortage for much of the year. I've still got to make the chicken
coop for them yet - that's the bit I'm looking forward to - a bit of
fancy carpentry! We've delayed getting chickens because the French
govt. can't make up its mind what to do about bird flu. Earlier this
year all birds had to be kept indoors, then eventually they were
allowed to free-range again since the danger of infection from
migrating birds had passed. Unfortunately this ambiguity means they
may need to be kept indoors again when bird migrations begin again
this Autumn. I just wish they would opt for vaccinating all poultry,
then everyone can just get on with keeping poultry outside again.
Fairly pointless keeping your own chickens just to leave them indoors
and fed on grain all the time - especially when there are lots of
insects and weeds they can be eating outside.

I had some eggs given to me last week, light blue like duck eggs but they
were definitely chicken eggs. I couldn't see the point, they were light
yolked like normal ones, nothing special. I prefer organic columbian
blacktail free range ones, which have a rich yolk and are well worth the
difference. IINVMM the light blue eggs cost the bloke something like £2 for
half a dozen, which seems rude.

Is it something in the feed that gives the yolk the character?