Old 14-09-2006, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Errors of new allotment gardeners.

David (in Normandy) wrote:
The plan is to get 4 chickens next year. Apparently, from what I've read 4
is a good number to keep us in eggs without there being a glut or shortage
for much of the year. I've still got to make the chicken coop for them yet -
that's the bit I'm looking forward to - a bit of fancy carpentry!

Fantastic! Even more jealous. When I was about 10 years old, my best
friend and I started a craze at school which lasted for years
afterwards - poultry leg rings, which we wore on her fingers like
rings. I had all the colours and every week end I would stock up and
sell them back double price. I was at boarding school and it was fierce
commerce in those days, especially for pots of nutella and scoobidou
toffee shells )

What cockrel will you get? Can I suggest a French Maran and call it
Napoleon (we had one you see) - they're loud and bold and have a
gorgeous plumage.