Old 14-09-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Errors of new allotment gardeners.

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Sheeps?

Oui! Two as well. Isn't that great?! If only I had the land ...

My French friend STILL can't work out the plural of "sheep", and he's been
here for nearly ten years :-)

I'm sure that veggie poo is suitable for composting, but I wouldn't
be sure ... some time ago the dictatorship^Wgovernment said you
weren't supposed to compost tea bags or eggshells, now it seems you
should.

I compost tea bags but not eggshells. I don't want to attract rats. My
oldest cat got bitten by one and nearly died. He killed the rat but
that was very costly in vet bills (for my cat, not the rat). My poor
Figaro had a huge pus ulcer - we didn't noticed soon enough. But he
survived. He's 17.

compost left over curry, myself, and virtually anything else. I
manage to fill a black bag every five weeks, and most of that is
oily rags and the plastic wrappings off fag packets :-)

I'm a hand roller myself. Well done to you for doing just one black
bag. We're four people here, plus a menagerie of pets and I do around
2 black bags/week. I don't put food in my compost - only veg/fruits
peels and garden stuff, paper, carboard but not too exessively on the
later two. You put food on yours? Do you get nocturnal visitors?
You'd get my friend SkipKate if she knew where you lived LOL!!!

I could do less if I tried. Would you believe I bought something from
Waitrose last week (can't remember what it was, might have been two Scotch
Eggs, in a plastic tray-type wrapper WITHOUT a recycle symbol on it. Tut
tut.

I only put veggie food in. The meat always gets eaten :-) Paper and card go
in but I burn it first, so I'm waiting for winter to get rid of the
newspaper mountain (free heat), then the ash goes on the compost, or round
plants to discourage slugs and snails and other freelunchers.

Rats are not a problem, the thing is sealed. The rats are not after compost,
they're after rubbish, which is not mine. They are unstoppable!