Old 14-09-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Cost to gravel garden

On 14/9/06 17:18, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "BoyPete" contains these words:

Thank you Janet and others. I posted in rather a hurry this
morning.............more detail...............This is for my mothers front
garden. She is disabled and can no longer do the garden. She has a lad come
and tidy up, but he's not the brightest. She's asked me if we could have
gravel and pots, hence my question. I guess the area is about 40' x 30',
lawn and flower beds. 'Spread' would not be a problem, as the garden is
bordered on 3 sides by fence/curb. I was hoping someone here might have had
a similar job done. One concern I have is how to stop the gravel going green
with algie? Obviously I'll get some quotes, but I'd like to be clued up
first, as I tend to be the 'one they see coming'! Thanks

Is your mother a wheelchair user or is she still ambulant? Either way, if
getting around is difficult for her, I'd suggest that gravel is going to
make it worse. Wheelchairs don't push well through gravel and sticks or
crutches or uncertain feet don't much like it, either. Would it better to
pave this area, perhaps putting in some kind of water feature and the
required tubs etc. to give colour and flowers. Gravel grows weeds and has
to be raked every so often. Paving costs more initially but needs less
attention in the long term and might be more user friendly in this case,
perhaps?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk