Old 14-09-2006, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default Cost to gravel garden

K wrote:
Sacha writes
On 14/9/06 17:18, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "BoyPete" contains these words:

Thank you Janet and others. I posted in rather a hurry this
morning.............more detail...............This is for my
mothers front garden. She is disabled and can no longer do the
garden. She has a lad come and tidy up, but he's not the brightest.
She's asked me if we could have gravel and pots, hence my question.
I guess the area is about 40' x 30', lawn and flower beds. 'Spread'
would not be a problem, as the garden is bordered on 3 sides by
fence/curb. I was hoping someone here might have had a similar job
done. One concern I have is how to stop the gravel going green with
algie? Obviously I'll get some quotes, but I'd like to be clued up
first, as I tend to be the 'one they see coming'! Thanks

Is your mother a wheelchair user or is she still ambulant? Either
way, if getting around is difficult for her, I'd suggest that gravel
is going to make it worse. Wheelchairs don't push well through
gravel and sticks or crutches or uncertain feet don't much like it,
either. Would it better to pave this area, perhaps putting in some
kind of water feature and the required tubs etc. to give colour and
flowers.

Or missing out slabs here and there to provide small beds - that would
mean less watering, but, otoh, large containers could be tended from
wheelchair height.

Mum hates large paved areas, Def. no in-ground planting, all pots, for ease
of maintenance.
--
ßôyþëtë