Old 15-09-2006, 11:28 AM
undergroundbob undergroundbob is offline
Registered User

Hi, I can't help with the evergreen bit, but have you considered rosa rugosa as a barrier? Not only is it the spikiest, most viciously jaggy plant I have ever had the misfortune of trying to prune, but it's really fast growing, produces georgeous flowers and is very wildlife-friendly, as the bees love it and the birds eat from the hips all winter.

I have a hawthorn tree at the front of the house and the roots are pretty thick and sturdy, if not that profuse. I'm not sure about hedges. Good luck!

Bob