Old 15-09-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Plant Finder Software?

who wrote this in , I, Marvo, say :

"Sacha" wrote in message
Yes, it's called uk.rec.gardening! ;-)
--
Sacha

Now if someone created an online plant database searchable by
different criteria as the original poster suggested, how wonderful
would that be? So someone could select a climate type, soil type,
degree of exposure to sunshine, wind etc and whether they want an
evergreen or deciduous, growth habit, flowering etc etc and the
software would bring up a list of all plants matching the criteria -
with photos! It could also include extra information such as care of
the plant and even its history etc etc. Now if it was done along the lines
of Wikipedia so plant experts all
over could contribute and benefit also.
It could perhaps be financed by adverts from nurseries etc that sell
the plants looked up. It could also feature adverts for garden
centres etc local to the area the plant is required for.

Now there's a business idea for someone.

If such a thing doesn't already exist I think it will only be a
matter of time...
What is needed is a hybrid between a businessperson, gardener and
software developer!
I'd be up for it? Any other businesspeople/gardeners/developers out
there who would be interested in collaborating on such a project?

Might be. But not if it was like Wikipaedia, as that would end up with loads
of misinformation which would be silly.

I can "do" software, my business head is not screwed on.