Old 15-09-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Plant Finder Software?

, I, Marvo, say :

To produce such a software package would be very time consuming
therefore expensive to buy.

This comment written by someone who thinks that the x,000,000 spent by the
dictatorship^Wgovernment is actually representative of real-life? Why would
it be time-consuming to write such a package? And why would one need to buy
it, if it were on t'internet and funded by adverts for nurseries such as
Hill House? :-)

To amortize production costs would need
a large market and there would be very few customers willing to pay
many times more than the cost of the RHS's Encyclopedia of Plants
and Flowers ISBN 0-86318-386-7.

I think that it is meant to be better/easier to cross-reference, rather than
to be a replacement. I suggest that once the indexing etc had been done then
the RHS tome would be a good companion for it. They might even advertise!

And do not forget that eventually the programme might become
unuseable. Have you tried running a very old software programme only
to find that present day disc operating systems do not like it? Books do
not have that problem!

Yes, I've tried that. None of mine have the problem though, because I don't
write in girly languages and try to do things the hard way :-)

Unc (programmer of 30+ years and getting quite lucky at it)