Old 15-09-2006, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Plants for home security

Uncle Marvo wrote:
If you want to be really serious, broken glass and nails scattered around
under the hadge tends to deter most amateurs. If it is professionals you
want to keep out, get land mines, a rottweiler, and a gnu. Pikeys will nick
anything from anyone anytime. So don't leave a caravan lying around :-)

Perhaps it's a very silly reasoning but I always thought that if you
don't seem to be protecting your house like Alcatraz (sp?) then nobody
will be suspicious with thinking you're hiding some big valuables in
there. Broken glass set in walls are most horrid. I don't feel like
inflicting serious injuries to even little scrotes. I've got dogs and
fantastic neighbours and I have never been broken into in this house. I
go on holidays forgetting to even close, not lock, close the door to
the veranda. My cat sitter did it for me, thankfully.

But plants such as hawthorns, holy, pyran and roses are surrounding my
house at every angles. Perhaps that is the real protection - along with
two fearce looking dogs. I have also learn to tell myself that my
possessions are only things and that they can be replaced.