Old 15-09-2006, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin Janet Galpin is offline

Default Plants for home security

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Uncle Marvo wrote:
If you want to be really serious, broken glass and nails scattered around
under the hadge tends to deter most amateurs. If it is professionals you
want to keep out, get land mines, a rottweiler, and a gnu. Pikeys
will nick
anything from anyone anytime. So don't leave a caravan lying around :-)

Perhaps it's a very silly reasoning but I always thought that if you
don't seem to be protecting your house like Alcatraz (sp?) then nobody
will be suspicious with thinking you're hiding some big valuables in
there.

Hasn't worked for me. I had open boundaries and a not very secure barn
and have had two ride-on mowers stolen. There seems to be a particular
problem round here with garden machinery and also with the fact that
once you've had one theft you're likely to get a second visit once it's
assumed you've had time to replace the articles stolen the first time.

Janet G