Old 16-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Zarch Zarch is offline
Registered User

Default Bulb Questions

Hi there,

i have quite a large border that is now 2 summers old with mainly shrubs in. Contents include bamboo, spirea, photinia, dogwoods, choysia, fuschia, salix, various grasses, hostas etc. So as you can probably imagine, theres plenty of "green" but no genuine splashes of colour.

As there is no room anymore shrubs/plants, i thought about using bulbs to give me the splashes of colour i require thru the seasons.

Although, knowing nothing about bulbs i'm a little stuck.

Ideally i'd like to plant bulbs in the gaps for all year round colour if thats possible, so Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter (not sure if there are such things as winter bulbs???)

Spring could easily covered by Dafs and Tulips i suppose and i really like the look of Lillies for autumn.

A quick scan thru the parkers catalogue brings the following to my attention: Anemone for Mar/Apr, Cyclamen for spring or autumn, crocus for spring and Sparaxis for May & June.

Can anyone recommend any other these and/or anything that i should investigate?

Is my theory of getting all year round splashes of colour a valid one?

And finally, could someone please explain what "naturalising" means?

Many thanks for you time