Old 21-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Hussein M.

Default Cutting a Phormium?

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 00:26:21 +0000, bigjon wrotc:

We have a green variety in a sunny front garden, we cut it to the ground
anually and it regrows to about 6 feet each year, seemingly no ill effects,
although no flowers this last few years...
--
\\(º`¿´º)//

Interesting plant, the P. tenax.

It has edible uses:
The roasted seed is used as a coffee substitute[153, 173].
An edible nectar is obtained from the flowers[173]. Very wholesome
eating[183]. A long hollow grass-stalk or straw is used to suck it out
of the flowers[183]. An edible gum is obtained from the base of the
leaves[173].

and other uses:
A very high quality pliable fibre is obtained from the leaves[11, 57,
61, 128, 153]. It is used in the manufacture of ropes (they are not
very strong[46]), twine, fine cloth etc. The fibre can also be used
for making paper[189] The leaves are harvested in summer, they are
scraped to remove the outer skin and are then soaked in water for 2
hours prior to cooking. The fibres are cooked for 24 hours with lye
and then beaten in a ball mill for 4 hours. They make a cream
paper[189].
The split leaves can be used to make nets, cloaks, sandals, straps
etc[153]. They are also used in making paper and basket making[153,
169]. A strip of a leaf is an excellent emergency string substitute
for tying up plants in the garden, it can be tied into a knot without
breaking[128].
The leaf pulp, after the fibre has been removed, can be fermented to
make alcohol[153].
A gum found in the leaves is used as a paper glue[173].
A brown dye is obtained from the flowers[168], it does not require a
mordant[169].
A terra-cotta dye is obtained from the seedpods[168]. A mauve can also
be obtained[168].
The flowers are rich in tannin[168].

I am relieved that I can cut it right down in view of the fact that
it is reported here to get so huge that it takes a day to move it. I
am happy with mine at its present size but unfortunately it has not
yet flowered so I won't be performing drastic surgery just yet.

Hussein
Grow a little garden