Old 16-09-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Happybattles Happybattles is offline

Default web site update - our hay bale garden featured

when i use banners apart from my own they are to mainly promote other
web pages that othes have online and generally connected to the
subject matter.

Its not that the banners aren't connected to the subject matter, but
they look like coupons scattered on a dinging room table. My
suggestion: Get smaller banners, no more than 40x40 pixels, from the
websites you are linking too. Or, even better, group the banners into
more specific subjects. Then provide a link to those subjects. Then
put the banner on one side and a description of the website, what they
can find, how it would be useful and the website address. Also,
linking the banner straight to the website is useful. It would go
somethign like this:

table border=1 bordercolor="black" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=6
tr
tdimg src="http://putalinktothebannerhere"
alt="websitenamehere"/td
td
bWebsitename/b: Description - make sure you put all the info here
like a newspaper reporter. Maybe even put a rating like *** for a
great resource or * for a slightly useful website.
/td
/tr
tr
tdRinse, repeat./td
tdRinse, repeat./td
/tr
/table

and i have always placed those banners to the bottom of the pages so
the imprtant information comes up first and gives the reader something
to peruse as the page fully loads

That is one way to do it. A more useful and professional approach is
to get smaller images and/or save the image-heavy pages for pages other
than your main page.

now i'm just a common garden type gardener who has learnt to use html
code and create a web page, i'm no fancy web master. and i see their
pages many times they are often hard to navigate and very slow to load
not simple at all.

True true.

i could easily provide text links for other pages but then hey that
would be a trifle boring wouldn't it?

Yes it would. Images make it easier for friends to show what they've
found because they don't have to read, they just look at the color and
shapes.

Overall you have a successful website. I can help - at no charge - but
I need some info about your web server.

1) Are you running it off your home computer?
2) Is it a Windows server or Linux (Apache)?
3) Do you have ASP privledges? If you're not sure, ask the company you
pay to host your website.

If your website is on a Windows server and you have ASP privledges,
then I can create for you a very nice website which will be very easy
for you update, change and alter. You won't be able to change the
basic layout, but adding links, changing text and such will be very
easy with little instruction, which I will include with the ZIP file I
send you. Installation will be easy too, as you already know how to
put files on your website.