Old 15-09-2006, 11:08 PM posted to aus.gardens
jules jules is offline

Default Orange tree

Any ideas on how to make this tree bear fruit?

I'm thinking you should leave it to do it's own thing. This tree definately
qualifies as hardy but I think it's still recovering. I suspect it's trying
to build up it's strength again and may need a while to do that. Has it
flowered at all yet??

I have a mandarin that (before I knew better) I planted out in a root bound
state without loosening the roots first ... I know a lot of gardeners who
would have cut it down long ago, but I ignored it (I'm a big softy about
plants) and after 7 years the bloody thing began to grow! It's now looking
like a normal (young) tree and it's up to about 40 fruit this year (3 years
after it started to grow).

But that's just me. If a plant is going to die it does it by itself here. If
a plant seems to be not doing well I look after it, mulch, normal amount of
fertiliser and water, bug and disease control, and see if that helps it
recover. Then I ignore it!