Old 15-09-2006, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Plant Finder Software?

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
I just got a job in a nursery! But could use some help. Perhaps there's a
computer fix out there?

A customer asks (this one a few days ago) for a tree to replace an Elder
that her neighbours cut down. To grow next to a wall so pretty dry,
evergreen, fast growing, spreading and reasonably dense for privacy. Seems
she wants a tree that would be just about "perfect" in all respects. I was
stumped here... if it exists at all (Photinia "Red Robin" perhaps?)

Anyway, a bit of software that will enable you to enter requirements and
then produce some suggestions would be splendid.

Try:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx
http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant/

Plus the ability to cross reference Latin names and common names would help
too. We only use the Latin at work, so if asked for, say, a Fig tree if you
don't know Ficus your stuffed!

http://www.pp.clinet.fi/~mygarden/diction2.htm

There is something similar for id'ing mushrooms. Enter characteristics and
it will offer closest matches. Does anything like this for plants exist
out there?
Les

Jenny