Old 15-09-2006, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k. p.k. is offline

Default Cost to gravel garden

Simon wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure per sq. mt. to clear
plants/lawn, level, membrane and then gravel the area? Ta.
--
ßôyþëtë

Can anyone comment on the reverse process?
I've just moved into a house where 36 square metres of the front
garden have been butchered into a poor quality "parking area"
consisting of membrane plus 5cm of gravel. The weeds love it. It
looks like I'm going to have to spend about £500 on topsoil and
grass-seed to replace the gravel, presumably the people who did the
work were able to sell the topsoil they removed.

Thanks for the confirmation that membrane plus gravel is a bad idea!

Simply take up the membrane, rotovate the gravel into the existing soil -
several deep passes with a good rotovator. Leave to settle for a fwe months.

That may well be enough to provide a rakeable seed bed, depending on the
soil quality and type. If not, *good quality* loam/sieved topsoil will do
the job.

the turf or seed in the spring.

OR

Take up the membrane and add another 50mm gravel and plant!

pk