Old 16-09-2006, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Huge blue butterfly

On 16/9/06 16:03, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:19:14 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at least
5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it was
described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the exaggeration
of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty big. Does anyone
know what that might be or whether we have an escapee from the Buckfastleigh
butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies roam, anyway? Any (polite)
suggestions would be welcomed as to ID.

Could it be the blue monarch butterfly? May not have the name exactly right,
but we saw such a one some years ago on Scilly, and were told that's what it
was and it was an unusual sighting.

Presumably the hot summer may have tilted things a bit.

Wrong colour for the monarch, Sally but I might ask Mike Nelhams on Tresco
if he has any idea. Assuming he's there, of course and not off on one of
his tours! Many thanks to everyone for trying to help. I only wish I'd
seen it myself but I'll keep my eyes pinned tomorrow.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk