Old 16-09-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Huge blue butterfly

On 16/9/06 15:33, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 16/9/06 15:17, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at
least
5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it was
described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the
exaggeration
of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty big. Does
anyone
know what that might be or whether we have an escapee from the
Buckfastleigh
butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies roam, anyway? Any (polite)
suggestions would be welcomed as to ID.

I think that has to be an escapee.
I am not sure there is even anything that size and colour in NW Europe never
mind UK but that is from ancient memories of flicking through a copy of
Higgins and Riley (not relatives) and their Collins Guide.
Sounds impressive.

Thanks, Des. I think it must have escaped, somehow. I looked up the 'large
blue' Maculinea arion, which has been reintroduced into Cornwall but that is
only 4cm across, so doesn't seem to come anywhere near this. it would be
rather exciting if this one lays eggs in one of the green houses, though!

Surely that depends on what the caterpillars feed on. They could be
voracious eaters of your favourite plants!!

I think we could safely sacrifice one or two for something so exotic! I've
often thought how lovely it would be to make safe the 'small double' which
has a lot of things growing in there and release butterflies into it. I'll
keep working on Ray!

You've certainly got an escapee as its description doesn't fit anything
European, nor North American, as far as I know, but although
Buckfastleigh is an obvious source, it doesn't have to have come from
that close. Monach butterflies regularly cross the Atlantic, and Red
Admirals, Painted Ladies, Clouded Yellows, etc., reach us every year
from southern France.

Phone Buckfastleigh and ask them.

Good idea or, when we get back from holiday, we'll go down there and have a
look.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk