Old 16-09-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Grapes to wine

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 BoyPete wrote:

Thanks for your comments David. I think the ripening problem is due to the
fact that most of the grapes are tucked away under foliage.

That shouldn't matter. It is the action of the sun on the leaves, not on
the grapes themselves, that increases the sugar. That's why it's
important to leave three to four leaves on each spur above the bunches
of grapes. However, if the leaves don't get any sun then, of course, the
grapes won't ripen.

I remember
tasting the grapes many years ago...........yuk! (the vine has been there at
least 40 years)

As I said earlier, leave the grapes as long as possible. They will
continue to ripen.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK