Old 16-09-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Grapes to wine

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 BoyPete wrote:

Is freezing the ripe fruit until the rest ripen viable?

Not a good idea really but you could try it. Actually what you need to
do is to crush the grapes and strain them through muslin to extract the
juice as soon after picking as possible.

OK, I'll have to add sugar, and the result might be crap, but I'd like to
try, whatever the result. So how do I proceed?

You say that you have the equipment to ferment wine from concentrates.
Well, once you have the juice proceed the same as for concentrates. Just
add a Campden tablet to every gallon of juice and add a yeast starter.
Actually now I don't even bother with a yeast starter as the wine yeast
is now endemic among my vines.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK