Old 17-09-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Simon Simon is offline

Default Protecting plants over winter

Sacha wrote:
On 17/9/06 09:08, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a number of cordylines and a larger one (australis) all in pots.
Whats the best plan to protect these over the winter, I'm in the south
east if that helps. I was thinking of moving them up onto my decking
next to the house and covering them with something ?
thanks simon

I think the move may be sufficient, but if the forecast is for very cold I
would be inclined to lag the pots and tie the leaves up in a bun to protect
the crown. bear in mind the very low temps kill the above ground stems
although they normally quickly regrow from the roots. (this has happened
twice in the last 23 years in Cornwall)

I would just add to this that tying them up is probably a good idea if
they're in pots because it will reduce windage. We find that the ones we
have in pots get blown over easily in high winds, so some heavy stones on
top of the pots to weight them, might help, too.

Thanks for your replies