Old 17-09-2006, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Apples

wrote:
We have a whole hedge of hawthorns plus one tree within 5 metres and the apples have very
few problems. We did use band 2 years running and a pheremone trap the next year but I
have done nothing since.

Consider yourself lucky then! I have since talked to friends gardeners
and most knew that plants from the roseaceae family are not recommended
next to apple trees. I kept saying 'why didn't you tell me!!'...
However, yesterday, at our lotty centinery party, a old chap told me
that he had 2 trees next to a hawthorn edge in Romiley, at about less
than 10m. I'm therefore wondering if the distance has something to do
with it but also the situation. Is it a root problem, or a pest
problem? The situation, be it windy, sheltered, on a hill from the
hawthorn etc. could perhaps play a role in the problems?!