Old 21-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Cass

Default Rose rescue

Radika Kesavan wrote:

Cass wrote:
Radika wrote:

Names please?

Iceberg for my brother

Dit I mention that I am astonished by how big this rose has become at
the Heritage? I had the pleasure (and it was a pleasure) of pruning what
seemed like an eight-foot monster which was simply the bush form of this
rose not too long ago.

I know it's not your favorite, and after that torture by Kirra, who can
blame you. I'd take that burgundy job any day of the week. But Iceberg
is a great rose around here, easy to keep at 6 feet, flowers every 3
weeks, no disease to speak of.

I thought that this relative of your brother already had Granada?

I ordered it, not shipped or received. Still time to fudge, change and
equivocate. Now I have two to subtract. Or substitute.

If you really, really want to give a miniature rose a try, I would
recommend this one I got a couple of years ago at Mack's hectoring -
Lavender Sunblaze. Quite the beauty of vigour, bloom and health. The
only trouble is Sunblaze seems to be anything the licensor of the name
calls Sunblaze and it may have changed now. Nevertheless, the Lavender
Sunblaze is mighty pretty, worth taking a chance on being the right thing.

I never played with barbies and it's too late to start.

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive
over there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet, but
the contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals is
alluring.

Is it? I mean, a mildew magnet? I had not noticed that - it is very
pretty and alluring and what-not, that is what I have noticed.

Figures. I only find out about the bad ones after I've bought the.

Ouch. What else did they have at the Home D. that caught your fancy?

There were plenty, tho nothing I wanted.

This year I have been so restrained about buying roses as to be totally
subdued almost. I think I need to break out of my cocoon and flap my
wings a bit. Might check out the local HD.