Old 21-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Cass

Default Unruly Red Ribbons

Mike wrote:

I received two Red Ribbons from my Dad last year and they are really
annoying. They keep throwing out these singular 5 feet long limbs from a
plant that otherwise remains about 4 inches tall. I kept trying to prune
those off last year. They would just throw out another disproportionately
long limb from right below my cut. Really messed up their shape last year.
This spring, they started out right away with this annoying growth habit.
Should I move them to a place where I can try training those monster limbs
to climb, or should I just whack them in the head with the shovel? Anyone
else experience this problem with this particular rose?

It sounds like you're fighting what the rose wants to be, at least from
the HelpMeFind description: 2' x 5' to 7' Sounds perfect to climb a
2' fence. Probably falls off a wall pretty well.