Old 17-09-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton Richard Sexton is offline

Default Need an ID on these plants.

In article ,
Abraham Evangelista wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:32:46 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:
In article ,
Abraham Evangelista wrote:
http://www.sonnani.com/aquaria/unkno...nt_1_small.jpg

This is a Potamogeton species. Very, cosmopolitan this genus s
occurs everywhere except the poles and has mores epcies in it than any
other aquatic plant genus.

Woohoo! Got a weed! Actually, the more I look at it, the more I like
it. The contrast between the nice green leaves and the almost red
stem makes it attractive when compared to all the straight green
plants currently in the tank. (Anacharis, Hornwort, Bladderwort, M

Barr has convinced me that red in plants is from poor nitrogen - in
the lack of sifficient N they made red pigments not green and he does
seem to be right about that. While I have no direct experience with
this plant (other than killing some of its cousins) don't be surpeised
if in grows in as green, not red, stemmage wise.

Good luck acclimating it to "tropical"
temperatures and non-dormancy in winter. I've never had any luck. It
grows around here, too.

Hasn't died yet. In fact, the bit that I had in the CO2/EI grow out
tank has put on nearly an inch. Sadly, that tank also cracked on me
tonight, so everything that was growing out is now sitting in a
bucket. :-(

Bummer. How did it crack? Are you just going to silicone a sheet of glass over
it or replace the tank. From personal experience plants don't last long in buckets
at all. They look ok from the top but when you take them out you might find the
only thing left if the part that looks good on the top.

http://www.sonnani.com/aquaria/unkno...nt_2_small.jpg

Fontinalis. "a cool water plant" the books all say. Neat stuff.

That's not good... The growout tank wasn't heated, but a 10 gallon
indoors with a powerhead and some intense lighting kept it pretty
toasty. I suppose this means it isn't gonna care for the tropical
tank eh? A shame... it seemed quite attractive!

Wellllll, it manages ok at lower light. So an unheated tank with a small
fluorescent would keep it alive.

Good luck with both. I've love to hear they survived and look forward to
pictures of them growing madly.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net