Old 17-09-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Huge blue butterfly

Klara wrote:
They are SO beautiful! We had some one year - one of the too many when
we had no time for any gardening to speak of and so the greenhouse was
full of rosebay willowherb. It's almost worth while to keep a greenhouse
full of it just for the moths - and even the caterpillars ...

The elephant hawkmoth is my screen saver - the orange and pink are my
two favorite colours and put together, woaw! ) When we moved to this
house I noticed the number of moths we had and I became really
interested. We have had lots of privets hawk, lime hawk, scallop hawk,
poplar hawk, lots of hermine of different sizes (and a buff one which
ended up in my youngest collection box) and the cinnabars and burnets,
my favourite ones. I made a design with pebbles and shiny stones set in
concrete of a moth by our front gate when we cut the side to make
another entrance a few years ago. I thought I had a picture of it but
can't find it. I'll take another picture of it )

Which suddenly makes me think: Bob! What about the Chimney Sweeper,
Odezia atrata ? Could that be the 'butterfly' you saw?!