Old 17-09-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] googlemail2003@yahoo.com is offline

Default black specs on Oncidium

Hmmm - I think I'm confused.

My Phal has two bare flower spikes. It also has two new leaves which
grew just as the last flowers were fading. It looks very health.

So - if I want it to bloom fully and be at it's best I should cut the
spikes, even though it may take longer that way - is that right?

Susan Erickson wrote:
On 17 Sep 2006 05:54:32 -0700, wrote:
One more question: My Phal - I cut the flower spikes down a bit but
not much. Should I cut them all the way down?

Thanks again.

There are two schools of thought on that subject.

YES says that if you cut the spike the plant grows a new leaf and
works on its living resource base until it is triggered to grow a new
inflorescence.

NO says that if you only cut it back as it dies and dry's back, you
have a chance of more flowers from that spike. Now this does take
effort on the part of your plant and it does expend resources doing a
secondary (less size and less flowers) flush of blooms. So if you
plant is growing new leaves and roots and looking very healthy you can
take a chance of letting it bloom again. This secondary blooming will
be smaller flowers and less flowers than the original. It may happen
when the next inflorescence develops or it may happen sooner. If the
plant waits until the second inflorescence develops it does make a
very attractive and full display.

But note the health of the plant. It is possible to have a Phal bloom
itself to death. You can repot a Phal that is in bloom or in bud -
just be extra careful of fragile flowering parts that can break
easily. Keep your plant on its regular repotting schedule and enjoy
the flowers it gives you.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids