Old 18-09-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson Susan Erickson is offline

Default black specs on Oncidium

On 17 Sep 2006 15:24:24 -0700, wrote:

Hmmm - I think I'm confused.

My Phal has two bare flower spikes. It also has two new leaves which
grew just as the last flowers were fading. It looks very health.

So - if I want it to bloom fully and be at it's best I should cut the
spikes, even though it may take longer that way - is that right?

Not necessarily.
Fact. A second branching blooming off an old inflorescence is
generally smaller flowers and less flowers that a similar sized
inflorescence blooming for the first time.
Fact. As Nancy said - they can & sometimes do keiki from such an
inflorescence.
Fact. It takes plant resources to bloom. Any bloom.

Decision - You need to decide for your self.

You said - Plant has new leaves = healthy.
- You want lots of flowers - more than one inflorescence
can be expected to support.
- You have 2 bare spikes that have not died back

Chances are good that the 2 spikes would send out branches and thus
you would have 3 blooming inflorescences... At the same time??? Maybe.

You have the plant - you have the facts - you make the decision.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids