Old 18-09-2006, 03:15 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Raphanus Raphanus is offline

Default Theoretical questions (No plant to ID :-)

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message .com,

...such processes include hybrid
sterility and hybrid breakdown.

Thanks. I think I understand the above. Now that I think about it,
this sort of had to be answer. The "mule" problem. I'm sure this is
Botany 101 and I appreciate you taking the time to give me a lesson.

No, unless you can find a convenient locus. Gene trees are not perfectly
correlated with species trees, and closely related species may not be
separated absolutely by DNA sequences.

I get some of this - but not all. I'll make a stab at asking a further
question. If closely related species are not separately absolutely by
DNA sequences - what are they separated by? I thought that with
respect to speciation DNA determined everything. E.g., the genome of
the Neanderthal and the genome of the human are different. I'm sure my
ignorance and confusion is showing. Could I be using "DNA analysis"
when I mean "genome determination?" Thanks in advance.