Old 17-09-2006, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Apples

In article . com,
cliff_the_gardener writes

It is very possible to graft onto a trunk by a process known as
topworking and the graft technique is done by cleft grafting. This is
done in the dormant season - usually Feb-March. Basically

SNIP

This is where you get into making these multy variety apple
trees - Egremont russet this side, discovery over here, that nice one
from across the road.
If you want any further help feel free to ask (cliff_the_gardener at
hotmail dot co dot uk)

Cliff, are there easily followed graphics for the technique? We did do
a little of this propagation in the RHS course but not on an apple tree
type scale. I was thinking of planting another apple tree where our red
oak was cut down, but would like to play around with grafting etc if I
could. Would it be possible to put the necessary pollinators on one
tree?

Is there a list or book you would recommend, regarding types of soil and
apple varieties?
Janet

--
Janet Tweedy