Old 21-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Mike

Default Unruly Red Ribbons

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
I received two Red Ribbons from my Dad last year and they are really
annoying. They keep throwing out these singular 5 feet long limbs from a
plant that otherwise remains about 4 inches tall. I kept trying to prune
those off last year. They would just throw out another disproportionately
long limb from right below my cut. Really messed up their shape last year.
This spring, they started out right away with this annoying growth habit.
Should I move them to a place where I can try training those monster limbs
to climb, or should I just whack them in the head with the shovel? Anyone
else experience this problem with this particular rose?

Mike
z8TX

Hello Mike,

I am with Cass here. I don't know about Red Ribbons but when a
rose goes up, if you want blooms, you just let her have her way.
If the canes are pliable and you can bend them without breaking
them, then get a couple of those landscape fabric staples - you
know the kind that looks like real staples only on steroids - and
gently bend the cane towards the soil. Put the staple in position
and make the cane go under the staple, then make sure while
securing the staple to the ground that you still have the cane
bent and not to the breaking point. Some times it helps to
tie some jute around the tip and then tie the tip to the base
of the plant to create a bow till the cane gets comfortable
in that pegging position.

You may be surprised how beautiful some roses can look
by this gentle torture. If you don't want to do that, then I
will suggest you move her to another place where indeed
she can go up as high as she pleases. Cutting her is defeating
her purpose which is to bloom all along her canes, so if you
peg her, you may end with a couple of gorgeous rose fountains.

Allegra

Hi Allegra,

AH! Pegging! Now that's an idea. I actually have authentic official rose
pegs (whatever that means) that I never used. I got them a few years ago
when I got Graham Thomas. I thought I was going to peg him, but decided I
liked the natural shape of the shrub and wasn't hurting for blooms, so I
just put those up in the garage (yes, I love me some garage, as you
mentioned before g) and forgot about them. I will try that. As I
mentioned in my response to Cass's post, I couldn't imagine growing these
as climbers because it appears only one cane on each plant wants to reach
for the skies. But pegging may work and I won't have to transplant them to
another location.

So they remain on probation for another year. You are now their defense
attorney. Deal with it. g

Mike
z8TX