Old 18-09-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Apples

In article ,
writes
On 12 Sep 2006 02:32:14 -0700, "La Puce" wrote:

I've battled with moths for 6 years now. I've ringed it every year and
used a trap with pheromones to attract the males moths - lots were in
there but still got very few apples even though we had a spectacular
show of flowers each spring.

I have however discovered that hawthorns are bad in the vacinity of
apple trees. I have two hawthorns within 5 metres of the tree! So it's
goodbye to my apple tree (

We have a whole hedge of hawthorns plus one tree within 5 metres and
the apples have very
few problems. We did use band 2 years running and a pheremone trap the
next year but I
have done nothing since.

Kath

We have 200 foot of hawthorn between each house in this road. It's 8
foot high on average, plus numerous hawthorn trees and my Granny smith
tree isn't unduly bothered by pests and I certainly don't treat it. Plus
many neighbours have very productive apple trees in their gardens.

If you are going down that route then no one should have Eunonymus trees
(e.g. the Spindle tree) near broad beans as they harbour black fly in
the winter etc, etc. Though quite why hawthorn should be bad for apple
trees isn't in any book I have.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy