Old 18-09-2006, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Plants for home security

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:

I saw a wicked rosemary in a pub garden this weekend, mine has gone
all straggly. Do these things get old, like people? If you cut them
right back, do they get a new lease of life, or is it time for the
compost bin?

They do get old sadly. You can't cut them into old wood they will not
come back. However I have kept some less straggly ones by bringing
some soil up around them, so they rooted and created more shoots. But
that's not for very old plants. I kept many for years in a dry area
of my front garden, with lavenders amongst them. I had moved them
from the old house ...so imagine how ancient they were. Eventually I
put them on the bonfire and that gave me a craving for some lamb ....
))

They said I could nick some from the pub. Presumably I can just grab a
handful and shove it in some compost, like most med plants? I've still got a
potful on the boat, that'll do for tonight.