Old 18-09-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sean Sean is offline

Default Mushrooms I dont want

The lawn has been laid over a huge amount of debris left by the
builders of this new house I also believe this may contain Laurel
Bushes and similar. your answer makes very good sense.

Thanks
newsreader wrote:
Sean wrote:
Can anybody advise me I have a very sunny south facing garden all lawn
over the last few days it has been infested with small 2" tall white
mushroom/toadstools they form in patches about 3 feet across. HOW DO I
STOP THEM FROM GROWING!

Help

Some things that might stop them.

1 Stop watering your lawn

2 Make the rain stop

3 Dig the area up & remove all traces of any wood, be it construction
debris, tree branches, old roots, etc. Mushrooms thrive on buried
rotting wood.

All three options will basically ruin your existing grass.

Cutting your grass a bit shorter than normal *might* help, allowing the
sun to dry the soil more quickly. Unfortunately this is also not too
good for the lawn.

I've heard a golf club is a somewhat entertaining way to remove them (grin)