Old 18-09-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default prepairing hydrangeas to move

Don't do anything that might cause new growth at this time. It might be
damaged by frost. Once these plants are established, they're usually tough
as nails. But, not now.

"FireBrick" wrote in message
. ..
thanks for your reply
They went into the ground this morning.
I had composted manure in the pot and also had extra that I put into the
hole.

Also a good sprinkling of 'Vigiro' acid loving plant food.
I usually have a 'brown' thumb....so will hope for the best.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Cold *could* be an issue with pots, even for plants that will survive
horrendous winters in the ground. You definitely want to get them out of
the pots before winter, and this is a perfect time of year to do it. Just
follow planting instructions, and do NOT be cheap when it comes to
preparing the hole with composted manure. The plants are going to live in
those holes for a long time. You need to give them a good start.

"FireBrick" wrote in message
thank you.
I was hoping you'd saw that and by 'too heavy' I mean the pots where too
heavy to move inside if the cold was an issue.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"FireBrick" wrote in message
. ..
Live near Chicago.
I bought two hydrangeas plants and put them in big pots next to my
front
stairs.
Sun till noon.

I'd like to plant them into the ground so they come back in spring.
Can I do this?
How should I do this?
They are doing well in these big planter pots, but far too heavy to
move.

In the order you asked:

1) Yes, you can do this. Hydrangeas belong in the ground.

2) How?
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/trees/430-295/430-295.html
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lw_lan...276146,00.html

3) Too heavy to move? You'll have to move them at least a little to
plant them in the ground. Teenagers usually consider themselves
impoverished. Hire one as extra muscle. Hydrangeas are pretty tough
plants, but if yours are too heavy for you to manage, you'll rough them
up trying to do it yourself.

Be sure you really want the plants in whatever spots you choose. They
can grow quite large, wide tough, wide-ranging thick roots. Removing
them can be a real bitch. Also, get a soil test kit from a garden
center and check the pH. They like acid soil, and will produce nicer
colored flowers when the pH is correct. The wrong pH generally won't
kill them, but the flowers and leaves will look pretty blah.