Old 18-09-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default wild buckwheat

On 18 Sep 2006 08:14:40 -0700, Sue wrote:
Sounds like good advice. I am right now having my son pull out the
vines and bundle them up in plastic bags-the seeds don't seem to be
ripe just yet thank heavens.

Don't worry... there's plenty more seeds in the soil already. g

Seriously, a good, thick light-occlusive mulch is your friend. My favorite
one-season utility mulch is corrugated cardboard, but just about anything
that's not going to stop water but is thick enough to stop light (dried
grass clippings are great -- 4-6") will help keep down the weeds.

Don't forget you can compost weeds, too... just need to make sure the
compost gets up to seed-killing temps,

If you're dealing with ground that can be cleared for a season (obviously not
your raspberry patch!), consider "solarizing" the area with clear plastic
to help reduce the weed seed load in the upper soil.

Kay