Old 18-09-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al[_1_] Al[_1_] is offline

Default Taxonomy rant!

I have read the registrar discussing the merits of allowing the registration
of matings that include unique color forms of species that have already been
registered. I think he was saying it filled a horticultural need. I think
it was written in one of the IPA journals.

The RHS and the AOS do stick kind of close together on this kind of thing,
and the AOS is using it, but I did assume that Kew and the RHS were
'together'.

The monocot checklist is cool. I was looking at it again last night. The
list of orchid species names is so long...
The search page is very well put together and the easiest way to use it:
just set the family to ochidaceae and then select a genus
http://www.kew.org/wcsp/reportbuilder.do?method=Reset

I don't understand what "unplaced names" means. Phalaenopsis stobartiana
Rchb.f. is in this group.

"danny" wrote in message
RBG Kew and RHS are separate organizations. The orchid registrar at RHS
doesn't have to use the taxonomy in the Kew checklist.
-danny