Old 18-09-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default Taxonomy rant!

Gene,

I think a lot of folks are resisting tag changes. We have a floor display to
install in late October. Wonder how the judges will treat labels that do not
reflect current taxo thinking? Our registrar has said she'll reflect the
synonyms on the tag.

As far as giving us something to talk about, sometimes I think it's more
like justifying their own existence. Either that, or just a way to make us
crazier than we already are!

Diana

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Diana,

I don't change the labels anymore. Some taxonomist in the future will be
working on his PhD and move them back to Cattleya.

Look at poor Doritis, Eric Christenson put it back into Phalaenopsis over
5
years ago. Even Phal violacea was made bellina. A couple of weeks ago I
still asked Al if the violacea that I was buying from him was the
blue/purple violacea or an off color bellina.

If they didn't change the names it wouldn't give us anything to talk
about.

Good growing,
Gene

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
news
Have you seen the current issue of Orchids? Have you? Did you know that
aurantiaca and skinneri are no longer Cattleyas? Huh? Huh? Ditto
bowringiana.

And on pg. 659 - top right photo and lower half of the page - what kind
of
labeling is that?

"Guarianthe (syn. Cattleya) x guatemalensis 'Barbara Sullivan' CCM/AOS
(skinneri x aurantiaca)"

And on pg 661, they identify bowringiana in one picture as "C." and in
the
one below as Guarianthe (syn. Cattleya).

This is getting stupid.

Diana