Old 19-09-2006, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bruce Musgrove Bruce Musgrove is offline

Default Wal Mart orchid pitures

Would Wal mart, Lowes and Home Depot be a trusted source????

I have / am learning to check the label and research the internet to see if
other users pictures match to my labels and blooms. There have been a few
interesting label switches at Home Depot and Lowes. One this weekend was
fairly obviously a Baldan's Kaleidoscope Golden Treasure ( based on my own
previous purchase, research and the 4 other ones around it) but it had a
tag of P. Sogo Pride on it. The tag was deep in the pot and was stuck to the
dirt as if it had been there for a while.

I see simialr mix ups at these stores all the time when they even have tags.

"Ray" wrote in message
Bruce,

Don't count on being able to positively identify a hybrid from it's
appearance. In this yellow oncidium case, it's next to impossible, even
with the size thrown in. There are Sweet Sugar cultivars with huge lips
and some with smaller lips. Likewise, there are Gower Ramsays of all
sizes, as well. Then there are other hybrids - some using one of them as
a parent - that muddy the water completely.

The simple fact is that unless the plant is labeled and you trust the
source, you will never be absolutely certain.

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
1.1/4 inches wide and 1 5/8 tall
Width was measured at the skirt with its natural curve

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
The Yellow one is an Oncidium hybrid. It could be Sweet Sugar or Gower
Ramsay. Without seeing the size of the flower I can't tell which it is.
Sweet Sugar is a larger flower than Gower Ramsay.

Gene

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Of course it helps to include the link....

http://home.comcast.net/~katkom01/neworchid/album/

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Some pictures of the Orchids I purchased at Wal-mart on my recent
trip
Wichita Falls, Texas

Also included are my 3 new (my first) spikes and a new one at
wal-mart
today

Anyone have a spare greenhouse?