Old 18-09-2006, 11:06 PM posted to triangle.gardens
me[_2_] me[_2_] is offline

Default Little Black Ants, Again & Again

"Derek Mark Edding" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Folks,

They're back, and they keep coming. Into our kitchen. We've been
waging war on them for eleven years and counting. This year the
ants are winning big.

We've eliminated every food source but our dishwasher, which they
get into regardless how closed it is. So we either need to wash
every dish the moment we're done using it, or watch a small parade
of critters going by every day. Even if there's nothing in the
dishwasher, they're always scouting around for overlooked crumbs or
drips.

The last thing that worked was a liquid Ant Bait called Terro. It
seemed great because you just put a drop of it where they can find
it, and they hungrily slurp it up.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop them from coming anymore. So either
it's killing them and there's an endless supply of ants, or it's
only making them stronger these days.

The plastic ant bait traps aren't having any effect. We've bought
all of the latest ones by Raid, Black Flag, Combat, etc. - they just
walk right past, don't even hesitate. I even tried putting little
drops of honey inside to lure them in - no sale. Jelly didn't work
either.

Spreading boric acid powder around makes it look like you've taken
up an expensive hobby in the kitchen, but doesn't deter the ants. I
don't see them walking through it, but they always find a way
around.

Sealing up the holes they come through no longer works. They come
in from the gap underneath our cabinets. I've wandered all through
our crawl space with a flashlight, but did not see any ant trails
nor anthills. I've looked all around the outside of the foundation
and didn't see them. Maybe they're inside the walls, I've got no
clue.

I also spread some pesticide around the foundation of our house
inside and out using a hand spreader. It was a granular mix for
ants and termites. Used twice the recommended amount. This didn't
faze them.

I can't think of anything else to try, other than calling some dude
that has a big plastic bug on his car roof to come out here and
spray a lot. Anyone know something that works, that I've overlooked?

Gracias,

-dreq

Had exactly the same problem. Twice a year (spring & early fall/late
summer) tiny ants would invade and attack. Terro ant traps were the
only thing that really worked.
http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/terroant.html We bated just at the
entry way and the ants never went past the traps.

After two years of using the terro traps the attacks stopped and the
colony was presumably destroyed.

Mind you, these were sugar ants an not protein feeding ants.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/insect/05518.html