Old 18-09-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default blackberries by road / 15th sept

, I, Marvo, say :

hi all

I live on a small main road and have wild blackberries
in the front garden (about 30 foot from road)

would these be bad/dangerous to eat
(after thorough washing obviously)

my next door neighbour and his kids
eat them straight off the bush,

while browsing, i was amused by the
superstition of not picking after the 15th of sept
(the devil has spit on them!!)
although according to wiki there is truth in this
as the damper weather promotes mould etc

I eat them off the towpath until they go rotten. Beat the wasps, but wash
them thoroughly, because of catpee etc. I have to say I was stuck once with
a duff engine and was there for hours, eating nothing but blackberries all
day, and I was a little queasy by the end of the day. I suspect too much of
something might not be a good thing.

And if the devil wants them he needs to fight me first :-)