Old 17-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Ponds vanish in 2 feet of snow

Pictures? I need something to remind me of what winter is like!

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

"Robyn Rhudy" wrote in message

I live in Central Maryland.
Um, I don't think I'm going to work tomorrow, or
maybe not even Tuesday if we can't get a front-end loader in here. It's
2:30 pm Sunday. The snow ranges in depth from 20-26 inches in spots. My
dad can't keep the road open as there's no place to push the snow, the
mower is dying, and the gas is running low. I have to wear my pond hip
waders to walk outside and it's very slow, snow half way up my thigh. I'm
barely able to keep the pond waterfall going. I covered the top of the
filter with a plastic big tub lid and lead diving weights because it was
coming too fast for the water to stay open. There are birds all over
desperate for food and the feeders I filled Friday are nearly empty, and
I don't have much food left for them. I brought the rabbit in but the
chickens are closed in their 6'x6' house and fighting quite a bit about
it. If it keeps up through tomorrow, this may be our biggest snowfall
ever! The falls are still running in my 1800 gallon pond but with all the
snow, it's hard to see and the sound is completely muted out! My 153
gallon pond is open from an air bubbler and de-icer. The birds want to
drink from it but there's a two foot cliff of snow all around and no
place to land! The only open water in my 1800 gallon pond is two small
spots where the running falls are exposed and birds and trying to drink
from it, on the wing! My other 4 ponds outside have completely vanished
and no longer exist!

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_