Old 18-09-2006, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default blackberries by road / 15th sept

"JennyC" wrote in message

MAFF has a report :
http://archive.food.gov.uk/maff/arch...9/199multi.htm
bit technical for me ..... Jenny "~)

Oh come on :-)

"Concentrations of lead were higher in urban fruit and platinum levels were
higher in blackberry samples taken from locations close to main roads
reflecting the emissions of these metals from road traffic."

That's clear.

"Estimated dietary exposures to these elements by consumers of wild
blackberries and fungi have been considered by the independent Committee on
Toxicity of Chemicals in Food, Consumer Products and the Environment (COT).
It concluded that 'the concentrations of the elements arsenic, cadmium,
chromium, copper, lead, manganese, mercury, nickel, platinum, tin, titanium
and zinc in fungi and blackberries collected from the wild do not provide
any cause for concern for individuals eating these foods'. "

As is that.

I didn't say that I was concerned about these things but I don't want to eat
them. I go to a lot of lengths to eat good food with no additives. Others
can do what they like.

Not that I have much confidence in the FSA ...

Mary